Thursday, May 27, 2010

simple dreams

{all photos in this post were found with Google images}
I often dream of a little summer getaway for our family.  A place where candles are lit, streams are explored, books are read, and simple memories are made; be it in our own yard or on a slice of unexplored crown land.  Though I know it will be a reality, I often wonder how we could create that oasis on one stretched income.  I have explored each of the following to their end and have been rewarded with the perfect solution.

  • A cottage or cabin is out of the question and renting something is too impermanent and impersonal for me. 
  • A yurt is lovely, but expensive and not so easy to travel around with.

  • A VW van could take us lots of places, but neither of us are handy and charming old vehicles need not so charming maintenance.

  • A gypsy caravan would be ever so romantic, but expensive, hard to find and where would we store it in the long, cold winters?

And then my world changed when I stumbled upon Bell Tents...

They remind me of the summer I spent as an Ontario Ranger up in Sioux Lookout.  When we traveled to other camps we would often take large military tents to sleep in.  It had a frame made of long thin logs and we would have competitions to see how quickly we could set it up.  Bell tents are a slightly more refined alternative to that.

A quick look on ebay indicates you could get one for less than one of those prefab garden sheds they sell at Home Depot.  Seriously though which would you rather have?  I am sure, with a little digging, a new or used one could be found in Ontario to save on shipping costs and your carbon footprint.

So there you have it.  I am a simple woman with simple tastes and a new dream getaway.

Are you as excited as I am?


go gently & be wonderful
e.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, I am so heading to Ebay! We have not braved camping with all of the kiddos at random ages...kind of intimidating...but we do put up the tent and camp in the backyard!

    This reminds me a bit of the little canopy in the Land of Nod catalogue. My friend bought one for her daughter and put it over her bed...it is the perfect little sanctuary...and placed in a corner would make the sweetest reading nook...something else fun to look at!
    ~a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you feel the same :)
    I will check that out for sure!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word. This is officially the coolest thing I've ever seen.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is auh-mazing Erin!! Thanks so much for sharing this! This would be so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ALL of these options but frankly, I'm rather committed to my VW bus, Talulah. Her bed is cozy. And her table top can support my typewriter. What more could a girl need in the summertime?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Love the images, the day dreaming, the different venues for relaxation. I'm glad you're blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...